Thursday, 23 August 2012

Distressed Painting

So yesterday I posted a picture of two dolls with painted hair in progress. Today I have been distressing the painting. This gives the whole thing an aged look, and a lot of depth. I like it far more than the pristine look.

I have added several coats of burnt umber, very diluted, then buffed most of it off. I also added a rosy pink to warm up the colour a little. The colour is left to build up in the nooks and crannies of the sculpting, similar to how dirt might accumulate on a very old doll, or how shadows would appear on a real face.

I also sanded parts of the doll, to show right through to the original base colour. The whole thing has been sealed with several coats of Super Matt Ceramic sealer to give a tough finish.

I'm going to give these girls a coat of wax too, which will give them a soft sheen, and help to protect the paintwork.
Tomorrow it will be time to get the girls put together, and then I can start sorting through the fabric stash to find something to make outfits........I love that part!!! :0)


  1. Very lovely. It is nice to read about how you have added the diluted burnt umber to fill in the nooks and crannies. It really does add that vintage charm to the face. I'm in MAIDA too, and Cloth and Clay ning. Love those two doll making sites!
    Teresa in California

  2. Hi Teresa,
    Great to see you here! I love MAIDA and cloth and clay too, so great to be able to share with dollmakers from all over the world!
    I love the distressed finish, but I do make sure to seal the original layers of paint befoe I do it, that way, if I'm not happy, I can just wash it off without ruining the eyes, lips etc. I still feel like I'm learning with paperclay, but I'm loving it too :0)