Thursday 7 March 2013

Where does time go?

I haven't blogged for weeks, because there's been quite a lot happening......
 
I took a trip into London, and visited the Becoming Picasso exhibition at the Courtauld Gallery
 
 
It's not a huge exhibition, just 18 pictures spread across 2 rooms, representing works from 1901, an epiphany year for the 19 year old artist.
 
The first room shows impressionistic works, inspired by the works of Degas, Lautrec and Van Gogh. These paintings were exhibited in a Paris exhibition in the early part of the year. 
 

 
Whereas the second room shows how much his work changed in the second half of the year, after the suicide of a close friend. The paintings are the beginning of Picasso's "blue period". It's a great opportunity to see some great paintings which have been borrowed from around the world.
 
 
The Courtauld is a gorgeous gallery, I love the Degas bronzes, which are on show just outside the Picasso exhibition.
 


 
Whilst I was I round the corner, I walked up to Trafalgar Square to browse the Impressionist paintings at the  National Gallery
 
 
I also had a visit from 2 of my cousins from Canada, and we spent the day at Colchester Zoo. I haven't spent time at a zoo in years, and early on we were struggling to see any animals.....I think they were all staying in their warm shelters, and eating breakfast.
As the day went on though we found lots of interesting creatures, I think our favourites were the sea lions.
 
 
There is an fantastic walk through tank, and they "swoop" over and around as you walk through, this was a great experience.
 
 
On the work front, I've been making some fabric dolls, based on vintage paper dolls and postcards from my collection....
 
Brainstorming with paper and fabric


Valerie 11 1/2inches
 

PC McGarry 8 1/2 inches
 
Valerie, PC McGarry & Peggy
 
After a lot of cold and grey weather, at last we've had a little sunshine, and the crocuses are just starting to open up.....

 
Today I've spent the day painting......I have a batch of brooches on the go, and I'm preparing to turn my sailor girl into a fabric doll too.

 
I'll be trading at the The Secret Vintage Fair in Colchester on the 30th March, do come along if you can. I can't tell you where exactly it will be yet, because it's a SECRET, but it will be a truly memorable day.......
 
 


2 comments: